Distributed Order Management: Maximizing your DOM configuration with fulfillment plan profiles
If you are following along with the Distributed Order Management in Dynamics 365 blog posts, this is the third of the DOM series. In the first blog post, we covered an overview of what DOM can do for your omni-channel retail solution. In the second blog post, we explored the different rules that can be applied to your DOM setup. In this third blog, we will cover the set up of Fulfillment Profiles and how they can help maximize your DOM configuration.
What are Fulfillment Profiles?
Fulfillment Profiles are used in Dynamics 365 to allow the user to group a collection of rules, legal entities, sales order origins, and modes of delivery. Setting up fulfillment groups enables each run of DOM to be applied to a specific legal entity, sales order origin or mode of delivery. This grouping is beneficial to an organization that wants to apply different sets of rules to each DOM run, depending on the sales order details.
Each profile in Dynamics 365 is set up individually and applied to a specific DOM run. The user is not limited to a maximum number of profiles so make sure to create as many profiles as your organization deems necessary.
Fulfillment Profile Setup
The setup of the fulfillment profiles in Dynamics 365 is straightforward. The fulfillment profile setup is located within the Retail module. To set up a new profile, open the Setup menu item for Fulfillment Profiles in the Retail Module.
- Select New.
- Provide a name and description for the Profile.
- Choose either YES or NO for Auto apply results. Setting this option to Yes automatically applies the results of your DOM run for this profile to sales order lines. Selecting No prevents the results from applying to sales order lines, only displaying them on the fulfillment plan.
- The process orders with an empty sales origin option allows you to set this profile to run for all order types, regardless of sales order origin, including those with undefined sales origins. Selecting No for this option allows you to define the sales order origin for this profile.
- The Legal Entities FastTab allows you to add legal entities to the current profile.
- The Rules FastTab allows you to add the required rules associated with the profile.
- Save this setup before continuing the rest of the setup.
- Next click on the Setup tab on the action pane and select Modes of delivery.
- Click New to set up the Modes of delivery for this profile.
- Select a legal entity from the Company field.
- Select the applicable modes of delivery for the current profile. Note that a mode of delivery cannot be associated with multiple active fulfillment profiles.
- Close the Modes of Delivery page.
- Next click on the Setup tab on the action pane and select Sales Order Origins.
- Click New to setup a new Sales Order Origin for this profile.
- In the Company Field select the legal entity.
- In the Sales Origin field, select the sales origin you want to associate with the current profile. Note that a sales origin cannot be associated with multiple active fulfillment profiles.
- Close the Sales Origin page.
- Lastly, enable the fulfillment profile by setting the toggle to Yes. Any warnings or errors with your setup will be prompted at this time.
Fulfillment profiles provide your organization with the ability to differentiate DOM runs based on a grouping of legal entities, rules, modes of delivery, and sales origins. This allows your DOM configuration in Dynamics 365 to be tailored to your organization’s needs. With the ability to set up an infinite number of profiles and only enable those that currently apply to your business today, you can be assured that there is a setup for any future developments or expansions to your order fulfillment. Fulfillment Profiles also give your organization a better way to track your omni-channel performance and order fulfillment, easing much of the overhead and time spent managing a modern retail solution.