Did you know… It’s easier than you think to track emails from your phone into D365.
I’ve been working Dynamics CRM (or Dynamics 365) for 10 years and had never found an elegant (or simple) way to track emails from a mobile into D365 – until this year (2018).
What I am about to share is not hot off the press nor is it revolutionary, however, when I discovered this I got pretty excited – and the same could happen to you!
I was recently working on a project and was asked by the client what is the best way to track emails from mobile devices into D365.
At first, in my head, I thought of the “Dynamics 365 for Phones” app – but quickly remembered how limiting Email capabilities are on that.
I did some investigating and found nothing in my opinion that was a good enough solution for my customer until a very random thought entered my mind – could it be possible that the “Microsoft Outlook” app has D365 integrated?
As it turns out, the Outlook app works and behaves just like the Outlook desktop client does and does indeed integrated with D365. At high-level it allows you to:
- Track without regarding
- Track and set regarding
- Change the regarding
- View D365 records
Here are the areas that will be covered in the low-level steps:
- Configure the D365 mailbox for each D365 User
- Ensure each User is granted access to App for Outlook in at least one of the security roles assigned to them
- Push the App for Outlook to each User
- Install “Dynamics 365 for Phones” and “Microsoft Outlook” apps (both available on Android and iOS)
Dynamics 365 Setup
- Setting up a D365 User Mailbox (assuming D365 and Exchange are both online)
- Log in to D365 as an ‘OFFICE 365’ administrator
- Note: this is key – performing this as a ‘D635’ Administrator will prevent you from being able to complete step d below
- Navigate to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Email Configurations’ -> ‘Mailboxes’
- Open the user Mailbox
- Ensure the details are filled out as below