Health Check Goes ERP
Oscar Wilde (Irish author, † 1900) once said: “Health is the first duty in life”. We periodically seek a physician for check-ups and screenings to preserve our health and to detect possible dangers and risks early on. We can thus increase our quality of life as well as secure our ability to tackle the challenges of daily life.
This can also be transferred 1-to-1 to your ERP solution Microsoft Dynamics AX.
Your ERP system needs to be optimally set up and installed so that a long-term use and stability can be reached. And just like you visit your doctor for your health check-ups, you should also commission a Microsoft Dynamics AX or CRM specialist/experts for a health check of your Microsoft Dynamics AX.
Based on years of experience and knowledge of ‘Best Practice’, we reached the conclusion that a ‘traditional’ health check is quite important and necessary, but is usually only limited to technical areas. That isn’t wrong, but quite often the functional health check is overlooked.
A functional health check of your application should be of equal importance, in our opinion.
In the course of a ‘classic’ health check, the following checks are carried out in general:
The technical health check is usually limited to:
Inspection of the infrastructure:
- ERP (Microsoft Dynamics AX) hardware and configuration
- Server configuration for the database and reporting services
- AOS and client configurations
- Event log messages etc.
And the examination of the Microsoft Dynamics AX settings:
- Database logging
- Number series
- AIF services etc.
As well as the examination of the code management and deployment process.
By comparison, the function health check focuses on the setup of Microsoft Dynamics AX, the module used and the customer’s processes.
In doing so, we look at the following 6 topics:
- General overview
- Which version is currently being used?
- Which modules were implemented?
- Are industry solutions or extra modules of other partners used?
- Which interfaces are there?
- Which system configurations were made?
- Existing documentation
- Analysis of the system launch under the aspect of the necessary requirements (review of completeness). The basis for this examination is provided by the documentation, that was created prior and during the system implementation. These include, for example, the requirement specifications, rough and detailed analyses, process analyses, gap/fit analyses, solution drafts, test documents etc.
- Parameter settings and module setups
- The users’ working methods concerning loss of time, inefficient workarounds, defective or missing processes, interface problems etc.
- Recording of the users’ acute problems
Both in the case the classic health check as well as the functional health check, the single inspections and analyses are documented and summarized.
The collected points are professionally assessed and evaluated based on our know-how and years of practical experience, which we have collected through numerous projects.
At the end, you will receive a final report, which does not only include the vulnerabilities, hazards, potential risks and possible optimization potential but also offers our recommendations, on how you can pointedly remove weak points.
So that your Microsoft Dynamics AX may be used long-term and reliable as well as increasing the satisfaction of your users.
Naturally, a health check can also be conducted for other systems, such as Microsoft Dynamics CRM, for example.
Would you like to find out more about the topic of health checks for Microsoft Dynamics AX and Dynamics CRM? Our staff members will gladly advise you and provide you with detailed information on how you may increase the performance of your application.
So do not hesitate and simply contact us. We will be happy to assist you.