When having Dynamics AX 2012R3 implementations with the Retail module, typically arises the need to create or replicate this implementation to new stores. This blog shows, in a general way, the steps that should be followed to create and configure a new store in Dynamics AX. However, it is recommended to the user, for more detail on each of the points mentioned in this blog, to refer to Dynamics AX manuals or online help provided by Microsoft here.
The steps to follow are:
1. Create the warehouse, associated to the shop
The first step that must be done is to create a warehouse in the following route in Dynamics AX: Warehouse Management > Configure> Storage configuration> Stores, which will be associated to the new created shop. This step is critical because the store will manage all shop inventory processes, and therefore it should be considered the following aspects to configure the warehouse:
- It is recommended to select the negative financial inventory and negative physical inventory check boxes in the Warehouses form in the Commercial dropdown tab. These boxes are found in the form Groups of inventory models.
- When setting the new shop in the Retail module of Dynamics AX, select the warehouse corresponding to the warehouse’s shop and the consignment store used to deliver the products to the client.
2. Create and configure a new shop with Dynamics AX
In order to configure a Dynamics AX shop, it must be considered the following steps:
- a. Prerequisites:The following are the most important aspects to be considered before setting up a new shop with Dynamics AX:
- i. Configuring the organizational structure and organizational hierarchies, found in Organization Management> Setup> Organization> Organizational Hierarchies, these will be used for information processes and statistic reports.
ii. Set the general parameters in the Commercial module, found in Commercial> Configure> Parameters> Business parameters, such as type of payments accepted, tax groups, commercial products, product group prices, employees and POS Retail profiles to be assigned to the shop.
b. Shop set up: In the process of setting up the shop, it should be considered assigning all of parameters created in the previous section to the new shop and all other specific parameters in Commercial> Common> business channels> shops, this includes parameters such as tax groups, payment, organizational structures, etc.
3. Installing a new POS (point of sale) with Dynamics AX
The third step is to install and configure POS components for both the Headquarters (HQ) and the shop. Take the following steps:
- a. Install Headquarters components: It must be installed and set up every matter related to the components of information transfer between the HQ and POS, for which you must install the components of the Commerce Data Exchange, such as Async Server and Commerce Data Exchange: Real-time Service. Additionally, you must install the SDK Retail. This component includes some code examples, templates and tools to customize Retail customers.
b. Install components at the shop: At the sales point, these three components must be installed:
- i. The components for information transfer between the NA and POS. For points of sale, Async Client must be specifically installed.
ii. Every store must install its database which will register all of the settings and transactions. Additionally, and optionally, it may be installed at every cash register an offline database, which will be used by the cash register if the connection to the transactional database (the main of the shop) is lost.
iii. Finally, it must be installed the POS client, ie, the cash register to which transactional and offline databases are configured. It is important to note that Dynamics AX2012 R3 version have two main POS: EPOS and MPOS. The MPOS is the only version of POS available for AX7, therefore, it is recommended to implement this option for an eventual and transparent migration to AX7.
4. Final steps
As part of the final installation process of a new shop in Dynamics AX, after installing the components related to the HQ and the POS, proceed with activities to transfer all settings to the cash registers. This process is carried out by using the data distribution option and scheduling the execution of the different jobs according to the data you want to transfer.