Did you know? It’s easier than you think, to track emails from your phone into D365.
I’ve been working Microsoft Dynamics CRM (or Microsoft Dynamics 365) for 10 years and had never found an elegant (or simple) way to track emails from a mobile into D365 – until this year (2018).
What I am about to share is not hot off the press nor is it revolutionary, however, when I discovered this I found myself jumping around the room for quite a while with a lot of excitement. I knew I had to share it and I’m hoping there is a small percentage of you who will also do the same (jump around a room) and hope you’d let me know when you do so I know I’m not alone!
My point though is this, there will be a large percentage of people who use and/or implement D365 that do not know about this feature Microsoft has provided and here it is:
I was recently working on a project and was asked by the client what is the best way to track emails from our mobile devices into D365. At first, in my head, I thought of the “Dynamics 365 for Phones” app – but quickly remembered how limiting Email capabilities are on this app. I did some investigating and nothing I found, in my opinion, was a good enough solution for my customer – but a very random thought entered my mind.
By this point, I had already configured the D365 users mailboxes, I had pushed the “App for Outlook” to each of them, installed the “Dynamics 365 for Phones” on each of their mobile phones (most were iPhones) and their security roles had the “Use the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook” permission set.
To cut a long story short, the solution was to simply install and use the “Microsoft Outlook” app.
This app works and behaves just like the Outlook desktop client when it comes to tracking emails in D365. It gives you the ability to:
- Track without regarding,
- Track and set regarding,
- Change the regarding
- View D365 records
I’ve been using the Microsoft Outlook app on my phone (Android) for personal emails for quite a few years and it has progressively improved, but what I never expected it to do (which in hindsight I should have) was connect seamlessly with the “Dynamics 365 for Phones” app.
With that said, I will now go through the steps I took (almost from the beginning) to get you setup in the same way.
At a high level, you’ll need to:
- Configure the D365 mailbox for each D365 User
- Ensure each User is granted access to App for Outlook in at least one of the security roles assigned to them
- Push the App for Outlook to each User
- Install “Dynamics 365 for Phones” and “Microsoft Outlook” apps (both available on Android and iOS)
And here are the lower-level steps:
Dynamics 365 Setup
- Setting up a D365 User Mailbox (assuming D365 and Exchange are both online)
- Log in to D365 as an ‘OFFICE’ 365 administrator
- Note: this is key – performing this as a ‘D635’ Administrator will prevent you from being able to complete step d below
- Navigate to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Email Configurations’ -> ‘Mailboxes’
- Open the user Mailbox
- Ensure the details are filled out as below